1. Remain in the chosen stream and choose a higher education. If you have science with PCM you can go for higher education in many professional and educational courses like engineering, architecture, design, Information Technology, and pure sciences degrees in physics, chemistry, mathematics, statistics etc. If you have science with PCB you can go for MBBS / BAMS / B Sc M Sc allied medical fields like dentistry, Ayurveda, veterinary etc. Lot of interesting options are available in bio chemistry, microbiology, biotechnology, bioinformatics and pure sciences like botany, zoology, and research in biological sciences. B Com, BBA, B Com LLB , Economics Hons, Bachelor in Business Economics are some of the courses that you can do after class 12th in commerce or you can hone your skills in the financial sector. If you took humanities you can go for BA in your chosen subject or can move to professional courses after 12th.
2. Appear in an Entrance exam
Depending on the stream you have you can sit for an entrance-exams-after-12th. Since most of the courses are sought after. most of the reputed colleges take admissions through entrance exams. This is the trend not only for courses like engineering, medicine, law, design etc Many universities use entrance tests because the number of applicants is generally very large. If you are interested in joining the Armed forces then you can also sit for exams like NDA.
One needs to plan for these entrance exams as these are held at different times in the year and one has to fill the application and follow the process to appear in the exam. While some entrance exams are also available in an online format like JEE for engineering there are still many which are offered in online and offline mode both, so you need to plan the test centre and travel etc.
3. Change the stream and choose a higher education
Many a times we take a particular stream just to keep the options open after 12th. This is the time to make that choice and choose from various career options available. Depending upon your aptitudes and interest you can make a switch to other course and career options. Colleges in India do allow some switches but there are some restrictions also. Like from science to commerce in possible but from commerce to science is not possible. There are subject related restrictions as well like to do Economics Hons in graduation some universities require Mathematics as a subject in class 12th. So ideally one should explore the college and course and carefully look for the eligibility criteria to make the right decision in right time.
4. Choose a professional course
There are many professional courses that one can opt for after 12th and most of the times the admissions are through entrance-exams-after-12th. Since these are sought after courses and there are many takers one should prepare for the entrances. For some courses like engineering and medicine the preparation starts right after you have given exams after 10th. Other than engineering, medicine there are many professional courses like Law, Management, Hotel Management, Design, Mass Communication and Journalism etc which one can opt for to make a successful career. Most of these courses offer good career opportunity so one should choose the course that matches best with one’s strengths ( That is …Aptitude and Personality).
5. Choose a vocational course
Vocational courses like Travel and Tourism and Office administration also offer good choice for many.
So by now, you know of four different things that you can do to decide about what to do after 12th. Actually, there are many students who think that they know what to do after 12th but sadly they are mistaken. You see as per a recent study, almost 80% or more people at the workplace feel stressed out because they are career misfits. The genesis of his problem is because of the wrong choices they make after 12th
6. Plan ..in case you do not get the course/ college of your choice
Admissions are competitive whether it is professional courses or others, there are limited seats and many takers. So even if you are the best and suited for that course admissions are not guaranteed. In that case the role of a good career counsellor comes into picture, who will help you explore other Career Options that suit your talent profile or will tell you alternative ways to reach your career goals. For example you want to become a journalist and are not able to make it to BA journalism course…you can still go for a related graduation and in your PG take up journalism course. Like that you need to set your goals and reach your career goal.